Re: [steering-discuss] Updated draft of the Community Bylaws

On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 11:59 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
IMHO the "future commitment" is sufficiently built on an
(already over-long) three month history with the project - I would like
to see that removed.

        To expand on this; is it -really- our intention to deny membership to
people who have contributed a huge amount to LibreOffice already, and
are entirely new ? - having started work on LibreOffice only when it was
announced ?

        There is a lot to dislike in this:

        "Every membership applicant must have been active for at least
         three (3) months, and should make a moral commitment to at
         least six (6) months activity (not counting the first three (3)
         months of fulfillment of qualification)."

        Can we not simply defer to the "significant contribution" piece ?
ultimately, if someone has made a really significant contribution in the
last week, I'm well up for them not being excluded from membership; and
I think we cover that in the criteria for membership elsewhere: good
reputation, and doing non-trivial work.

        Or do we plan some special one-off thing for entirely new contributors
since we created LibreOffice ?

        Thanks,

                Michael.