Re: [steering-discuss] Updated draft of the Community Bylaws

Hi Charles,

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 11:08 +0100, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
Last call: are we good on this?

        Sigh; I only just got to reading the final draft, busy day yesterday.
Overall it seems to be excellent, I have a few un-addressed concerns:

        Members are expected to refrain from any kind of expression of
        racism, xenophobia, sexism and religious or political
        intolerance.

        This sounds like a vow of chastity :-) It appears to apply to the whole
of life, and not just to engagement with TDF etc. As such is is somewhat
offensive, and in itself an oxymoron: "I can't tolerate your
intolerance" ;-). Many communities have people with strong, colorful and
opposing views expressed in strong terms. This to me is a sign of health
and diversity - instead of some bland pea-soup of non-expression :-)

        I'd like to excise that; though clearly we need some minimal good
behaviour policy I don't believe it belongs here. I rather prefer
relying on the much more helpful text in the "Revocation of membership"
section, that talks about ad-hominem, attacks, abuse, insulting, etc. -
sounds like a much more sensible line that is supportable :-)

        Every membership applicant must have been active for at least
        three (3) months, and should make a moral commitment to at least
        six (6) months activity (not counting the first three (3) months
        of fulfillment of qualification).

        Again - this moral commitment to future work is a problem for people
that take their commitments seriously. I can't commit to work on
LibreOffice for six months: anything could happen - I might be
incapacitated, die suddenly, loose my mind (arguably this has already
happened) :-) IMHO the "future commitment" is sufficiently built on an
(already over-long) three month history with the project - I would like
to see that removed.

        Continuity of membership section.

        This is much improved, I like the renewal process, makes a lot of
sense.

        Anyhow - otherwise, I am completely behind this, it seems rather
polished now, and the checks and balances seem more than adequate.

        With the removal of one paragraph, and the end of that 'moral
commitment' sentence I'm 100% behind this.

        Thanks !

                Michael.