Re: [steering-discuss] Updated draft of the Community Bylaws

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 11:08 +0100, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
Last call: are we good on this?

Le Mon, 06 Dec 2010 08:19:18 +0100,
Florian Effenberger <floeff@documentfoundation.org> a écrit :

Hi,

Cor Nouws wrote on 2010-12-06 08.09:
If those two or three employ so many developers on LibO that they
can have a very large majority when voting for BoD seats, that
could happen. But hey, two or three major sponsors cooperating in
such an harmonius way in the project, would be so great ;-)

generally, yes, but on the other hand, this once again makes us very
dependent, while we claim to be independent. Who can ensure that
decisions are not made just for corporate benefit (once again playing
paranoia)? :)

Well, I'm totally undetermined on this point, so just as a thought
from my side. :-)

Hello Charles, Florian, et al,

The document reads like a final statement of intentions for me.

Florian's earlier points regarding not excluding all TDF employees from
the board made good sense, particularly given the size of the foundation
currently,and a board consisting of 9 members, fewer board members (half
that) and I might disagree.

The one month governor in the solemn address clause I think was a good
addition. Opening us up to unwarranted agitation in the community was my
biggest concern in raising the point regarding a call for early
elections and this is a good way to mitigate that risk.

As for the later points on future full autonomy vs control by a small
group of corps. I think in the end there is no way to codify that risk
away, it just comes down to the people here. I would suggest that if the
board members act as stewards versus owners of the roles they take on
for the community, then the community and therefor the foundation should
flourish, independently. Given what I know of, who I know here, my
belief is that there is a good chance of just that happening.

IMO the likelihood of our staying independent, is much more dependent,
on the next phase of the Foundation's history. Constructing by
convention and act, rather then text, the 'nitty gritty' details of how,
as teams we will work together.

Guess that's a long winded +1 on the current draft as final.
(typos not withstanding :-)

Drew Jensen