Re: [steering-discuss] Updated draft of the Community Bylaws

Hi COr,

Cor Nouws wrote on 2010-12-03 17.07:

- Is it on purpose that no Officer may be in the board?

It would better be avoided to have a situation where one (officer) is
his/her own employer (member BoD)

sure, I see that issue. However, I would take a different approach: Let a director also be a member of the BoD (and the 30% rule of members-per-employer kick in), but generally avoid decisions where people decide on their own doings, salaries and the like - that is definitely a conflict of interest and might be even not allowed by law.

For the example above, where we have a good developer where it makes sense having him in the board and as officer, we can do so, don't lose his great contributions, but also avoid a conflict of interest.

I clearly see the issues, but on the other hand I want to avoid we lose good people in the foundation's bodies just because of a "something bad might happen" clause. If we have good people, let them engage themselves.

Sure, you don't need to be a member of any board or have any role to engage yourselfe, but when it comes to certain things, board membership makes things much easier. Taking the developer example: A good developer with good oversight might be very helpful in shaping the board's strategy.