Re: [steering-discuss] Updated draft of the Community Bylaws

Hi all,

Charles-H. Schulz wrote (01-12-10 17:45)
Le Wed, 01 Dec 2010 08:17:16 -0200,
Olivier Hallot<olivier.hallot@documentfoundation.org>  a écrit :

Some thoughts and questions from my personal experience:

1) I am a bit concerned of the definition of project: It looks like
TDF will foster several software projects, which is fine for me, but
then (may be I am a bit biased by OOo structure), how do we manage
NLC, L10n, Marketing and other "projects"? Does "software
development" include all these activities?

Well, indeed you think like we're still on the Collabnet
infrastructure :-) . I think we would refer to teams for L10N,
marketing, etc, not "projects". I was rather referring to different
types of software when talking about software projects.

OK, then the words Project(s) have to be replaced by Team(s) for these cases.[1]

3) About disputes: It seems that the disputes will be settled "inside
TDF" by the BoD, then the Chairman. Question: Is it advisable, for
the sake of transparency, to let the members decide as the upper
instance?

What do you mean? that they can pick either one of them?

I guess Olivier means that one can lay an appeal at the members.

4) On conflict of interest, I personnaly prefer 20% figure instead of
30%.

So it would be two instead of three members. It's possible I think...
any further thoughts?

Sounds better to me, yes.
(No objections to the 30% for the ESC)

7) "If a Member stops contributing, such that the merit criteria are
no longer met, membership status will be revoked after a certain
period of time.

Does it means that a founding member of the TDF will be revoked if
he/she does not participate on a xxx period of time? Shall we give
them a "honorary membership" (dangerous).

Honorary membership is indeed a dangerous path. But on the other hand,
any member can regain its membership status after three months of
continued contributions , so it's only a temporary and easily
remediable issue in the scenario you're describing...

Does a 'founding member' has a special status?
The draft writes " The Document Foundation may have trustees (founders; employees; officers; directors; and the various members of .... "
but does not explain anything about 'founders'.

Regards,
Cor

1] I have a track-changed odt with those comments, and some other comments I'll mention in other mails, and will send that to Charles.