Re: [steering-discuss] bylaws - STV ...

Hi Cor,

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 23:18 +0100, Cor Nouws wrote:
   Thanks, I see we can study quite some mathematical variations on this
subject ;-)

        :-) I suggest we have 'STV Meek Method' written into our bylaws to make
it clear - we had one case where someone in GNOME was either elected or
not by different methods ;-) 'Meek' (no relation) is at least repeatable
- it is what OpenSolaris used too AFAIR.

   However, in your example and view, you start with the idea of
candidates representing company/section/partition A or B. Rather then
random community members.

        Sure, but any disagreement can be simplified into an arbitrary number
of two-horse races I think; the principle is basically the same - more
fairness with a larger electorate.

   But that can only be reached when we have experienced people on board
that do not change every 6 months. Also for documentation, qa etc,
experience is important.

        Sure; of course, we can only hope that the people who stand for
election, and get elected are not entirely inexperienced - the
electorate should help with that.

   Looking at all proposals that fly rapidly around, I would prefer a
bit stability first. The next issue then would be, which form of STV or
other voting scheme would be most appropriate. So the voting scheme
should support our desired elections scheme, not the other way round.

        Um - I guess so, but given a fair voting scheme, the rounding issue is
fairly fundamental to how aliasing / numbers work and I don't see it
being easy / possible to work around.

        HTH,

                Michael.