Re: [steering-discuss] Community bylaws

Bernhard,

2010/11/24 Bernhard Dippold <bernhard@familie-dippold.at>

Hi Michael, all,

one question on the ESC:

Michael Meeks schrieb:

Hi Drew,

On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 07:56 -0500, drew wrote:

[...]

 The ESC, do you see this as a very active group, for instance working as
the release team, meeting often and looking at individual issues?

       Wrt. looking at individual issues, probably not - unless they have
wide
reaching consequences; but to better co-ordinate on the burning issues
of the day, and have a final say on things like:

       "Do we port entirely to Java" (I think 'no' but ... ;-)

       And to be a responsible backstop for technical issues - which often
simply require a decision - any decision being far better than none.

I fully understand the necessity for an entity to decide on mere technical
issues.

What I only see described between the lines, is something we should
consider, as is has led to a very disappointing situation in OOo:

Can ESC decide on topics related not only to coding and development, but
influencing larger parts of the community?

Probably all of you know about the OOo-ESC decision on implementing the
color"less" ODF icons.

The topic has been discussed in an ESC meeting, where nobody objected loud,
then presented in a blog entry after the first version had been finished and
despite very strong opinions against their implementation implemented in
OOo3.2.1 with the negative feedback foreseen by their critics.

I don't want to experience another similar situation - well knowing, that
the OOo-ESC is special because of Oracle.

But every now and then there will be a situation, where developer have a
certain opinion on strategic decisions and directions of development.
Marketing and / or UX might think differently. As the developer are the ones
able to include their solution in the product, they have a quite strong
position. How can we assure that other groups' expertise will have the same
impact?

The Bylaws state that the ESC "provides technological guidance on strategic
matters". That's guidance, not decision.

Will the BoD be the entity to decide in such a situation?

Yes, it will be up to the BoD to settle things down if such a situation were
to arise.

Best,
Charles.

On which list do we discuss strategic matters at all?

Marketing? Discuss? Steering-Discuss?
A closed list to avoid counter-activity by our competitor(s)?

Sorry for coming up with such a more or less hypothetical case, but I
really want to avoid problems as we had them in OOo...

Best regards

Bernhard