Re: [steering-discuss] Community bylaws

Hi Michael, Cor, all,

I didn't think of the overall sight, so now I have to change my voting:

Michael Meeks schrieb:
Hi guys,

On Sat, 2010-11-20 at 01:57 +0100, Bernhard Dippold wrote:
Cor Nouws schrieb:
Has been considered that this leads to a situation where each year
people have to get used to the tasks, the other board members etc. so
that maybe it is a bit inefficient?

        This is fairly normal, and there is usually both change and continuity
in things like the GNOME board. Also, old-timers are usually around and
willing to help out mentoring / getting people up-to-speed.

I think, there is one point we should consider as important:

Re-election.

If the BoD does their work really good, I'm quite sure that the majority of them will be re-elected in the next election.

This would allow continuity as well as "fresh blood" (the percentage of new members is correlated with the community's satisfaction on their last term).

Well, that is a good question. My personal take was at first for a 2
years mandate. Then some others thought that 6 months would be good. I
sliced the apple into two :)

        I like a year-long term; it seems a good balance.

In line with this, I would propose split elections: Appr. 50% of the
seats each year.
+1

With regard to STV I prefer Michael's approach now:

Vote only once a year (as any election draws action from the "normal" tasks a shorter term will take too much resources) and elect all BoD members.

We might or might not recommend to stay for two election rounds, so at least some of the present BoD members will stand for continuity, unless their direction didn't reflect the community's opinion.

We should try to find some kind of balance after the first term where some of the BoD members don't stand up for re-election, so that the groups able to be re-elected are more or less same size every year.

In my understanding STV is much more valid for larger entities than for only three or four members (where probably two will be re-elected). Therefore I'd vote for a one year election period where all members are able to get feedback on their work, if they decide to stand for re-election.

Best regards

Bernhard