Hi Friedrich, *,

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 5:02 PM, Friedrich Strohmaier
<damokles4-listen@bits-fritz.de> wrote:

I'm about to participate distributing the DVD ISO files via bittorrent
on my private Server.

I wonder how those downloads are tracked for the downlaod statistic.

I'm not sure whether torrents are currently included in the
download-stats, but they would be counted just like regular downloads,
as donwloads of the .torrent file is handled via mirrorbrain.
I think it is safe to assume that people won't download the torrents
by visiting the tracker.

What is the recommended way to get the torrent files up to date:

- Downloading them via wget?
- Syncing them via rsync?

rsync won't work, as they are "virtual". (created by mirrorbrain on-the-fly).
While the tracker also has a copy of the torrents, it is not the
recommended way to get them from the tracker.

A combination of rsync and wget will be the best fit. i.e. retrieve
the list of files via rsync, and then use wget to get the file with an
appended ".torrent" from download.documentfoundation.org

Does any of the above have side effects for the statistics?

No - not really. Downloads via BT are comparably low, so any skew you
would inroduce by bypassing the mirror system would be less than
thestatistical noise. We lose more downloads by websites hotlinking a
specific mirrors I guess. (althogh hard to estimate how many that are,
as we don't see them :-))

ciao
Christian