Nino Novak wrote:
Am 05.12.2014 um 18:42 schrieb Charles-H. Schulz:
At zero. Seriously.... very little value. And this is also why
LibreOffice just like most other FOSS is available free of charge.

Ok, I see your attitude.

For me, every single user of LibreOffice is an appreciated contributor. He
contributes a lot of his time, he takes the risk of using "something
different" from the well-known, he invests a lot of nerves to get his tasks
done as many things work differently.

Hi Nino, all,

sorry for being late to this discussion, but the above dichotomy
appears much larger than it is in reality. So I feel tempted to set
things right a little bit. ;)

I think we all agree that every LibreOffice user is valued, and we
very much appreciate them using our software -- at the end of the day,
we're producing software _for_ our end users.

As such, we're crucially relying on feedback from our users (and
Charles pointed out the many ways to collect it) -- but just in the
aggregate. Collectively, our user base provides tremendous value to
us, by marketing to peers, reporting bugs, voting with their feet,
donating money etc. The individual user though -- on average --
contributes just tiny amounts. So the big picture looks pretty much
like Charles' tongue-in-cheek 'almost zero'.

Turning users into TDF contributors is the constant challenge that we
face, and we're very open to novel ideas here. But one of TDF's
founding principles is meritocracy - so unless someone actively
engages with the community, there cannot be representation. Which is
not a problem IMO, since the User Experience project (which is, as
everywhere, always happy to get new volunteers!) is precisely there to
look after user needs. So if there's the impression that we don't care
enough for our users, that's where future efforts (and contribution)
needs to go!

But I accept that our views differ significantly, and as far as I
can see, there's no room for convergence left. So we can stop our
discussion at this point.

I'm sorry you got this impression. I hope I could clarify a bit.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten