Hi;

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Wolfgang Keller <feliphil@gmx.net> wrote:
I'm working on a proposal for building an experimental new LibreOffice
toolbar / UI in Python:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:KeithCu

Err, I would like to point out the fact that trying to emulate MS in any
way is always a B-A-D idea.

I agree that one should never blindly copy anything MS is doing,
especially around radical UI changes which can be disruptive. This
proposal is a prototype, which could also be relatively quickly
changed based on unhappy user feedback.

Your idea of a "ribbon" turned into a "sidebar" by 90° rotation imho is
nothing else than the revival of the old (pre-Windows) Lotus 1-2-3 menu
system. Pulldown-menus (and dialog boxes) are a far more advanced
concept. Besides the issues with screenspace.

A concept that could be a *lot* more useful imho would be to allow
tearing off individual (sub-)menus and placing them as floating (or
docked if the user prefers that) "toolboxes" next to the workspace. See
typical graphics software or e.g. RagTime. When I was working in
RagTime (or FrameMaker, but that was more than a decade ago), all I
had on-screen besides the document itself and the pull-down menubar
above were the listboxes with character and paragraph styles and very
few other floating palettes.

Hmmm, that sounds interesting. To be honest, I liked the image I
picked, but I think that when starting, it makes sense to consider
other designs. If it turns out you don't want a "radically different
toolbar", then my proposal is a bad idea. Otherwise, you could build a
reasonable experiment in a few months. I would be excited to see what
you all came up with, perhaps even two designs / modes ;-)

Warm regards,

-Keith