The document is not attached. Please send me the document to me as PM...

Yours,

Florian

Am 07.02.2013 09:07, schrieb Giorgio Migliaccio:
Hi all,

We’re using LibreOffice (since v2.x up to 4.0 beta) inside our product LetterSketch, which was started 7 years ago.

LetterSketch is a document authoring tool with which authors can create documents and extend it
with conditions, loops, variables, sub documents and other ornaments.

Finally this template gets compiled to an internal format and finally it can be generated on a
server in high volume by feeding it data in XML format.

Now we got our biggest implementation up to date, a major European bank. And they need to create
pretty complex document structures, containing multiple sub-documents.

And here we reached the limits of the OpenDocument format, or at least the LibreOffice/OpenOffice
internal object representation.

At the customer we created a template/document containing 113 pages, built up with plain text, various objects like comments and frames, and dozens of sub-documents and where it takes some 10-20 minutes to just open the template.

We finally pinpointed the problem.

When we just take the top-level odt file, without resolving any of the sub-documents, LibreOffice
needs 1 minute at 100% CPU(intel i5 CPU) and 500 MB of memory (!!!) for this document alone.
So when we also start resolving the sub-documents, LibreOffice goes up to 1.8 GB of memory and then
just crashes or disappears or freezes, there seems to be some kind of invisible ceiling.

Closing the document takes another 1-2 minutes and some additional memory is needed!

When saving the main document to the Word (.doc) format and then opening it in Word, MS Word only
needs some 30 MB of memory to visualize this SAME document.

Please find attached the concerning (main) document.

Is there any kind of suggestion you can give us to overcome this problem/limitation, since this is
going to be a major showstopper for our project.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

With kind regards,

Giorgio Migliaccio