Re: [tdf-discuss] Can we replace "Floppy Disk"

2011/12/30 Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@openoffice.org>

> On 28/12/2011 Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Danishka Navin wrote:
>>
>>> Why we still continue the "Floppy Disk" as the icon for "Save" button in
>>> LibreOffice?
>>>

>> When was the last time you saw a phone that look like
>> http://iphonestudio.co.uk/**images/uber_iphone_phone_logo.**jpg<http://iphonestudio.co.uk/images/uber_iphone_phone_logo.jpg>
>> Ironically that 70 years old design is still used on IPhone and others
>> modern cell-phone to indicate: 'telephone'
>>

> Indeed. An icon is just a convention to convey a meaning and it should not
> necessarily be a representation of reality. One doesn't usually look for
> words in a document using a binocular or a magnifying glass, but people can
> easily associate these icons to "Find".
>
> For those who want to practice their Italian or stress-test machine
> translation, here's a nice short and funny article from 1996 by the famous
> writer Umberto Eco: "Icons everywhere? No thanks, I can read".
> http://tecfa.unige.ch/staf/**staf9597/beltrame/STAF13/eco.**html<http://tecfa.unige.ch/staf/staf9597/beltrame/STAF13/eco.html>
>
> Regards,
> Andrea.

As a counter to Professor Eco's brief - and as always in his case, witty
critique of icons, may I suggest that interested users test his conclusions
by launching Writer, clicking Tools and selecting Customise and then
Toolbars, clicking the Toolbar button and finally selecting «Text only». *
Pace* Professor Eco, but I suspect that all who do so will immediately
reselect «Icons only»....

Henri