[tdf-discuss] Re: Can we replace "Floppy Disk"

On 12/30/2011 08:12 AM, M Robinson wrote:

> I haven't heard of Delete/Eraser that works as well on SSDs as
> traditional hard drives. That said USB will be the most common storage
> media soon enough. Who saves to CDs at work?
>
> I don't think the icon is a big deal, the whole interface is dated, I
> pitched a Firefox addon-like interface a while back, but I'm still ahead
> of my time on that.
>
> Rather than reinventing the wheel, update the saveicon with a stock USB
> icon: a vertical USB icon, it looks like a human carrying stuff and you
> have the integrated download arrow, and it is a recognized symbol on
> cameras, phones, TVs, etc.
>
> http://imagebin.org/190980

Rather than reinvent the wheel:

Stock icons:
GNOME & Humanity:
<http://svn.gnome.org/svn/gnome-icon-theme/trunk/scalable/actions/document-save.svg>
[my system Humanity:
/usr/share/icons/Humanity/actions/16/document-save.svg
matches the one from freedesktop.org]

Tango:
<http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/tango/tango-icon-theme/32x32/actions/document-save.png?view=co>
[which is not used by LO when the Tango theme is selected - LO still
uses a floppy with the Tango theme. My system Tango:
/usr/share/icons/Tango/22x22/actions/document-save.png
matches the one from freedesktop.org]

freedesktop.org Icon Theme Specification:
<http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html>
"document-save The icon for the save action. Should be an arrow pointing
down and toward a hard disk."

I suspect that LO are still using these icons for Tango:
<http://jimmac.musichall.cz/i.php?i=Tango-OOo>
[Tango OpenOffice.org 2.0 -Note this artwork is not public domain.]
However, that standard Tango icons *are* public domain:
http://tango.freedesktop.org/
<quote>
Terms Of Use

The Tango base icon theme is released to the Public Domain. The palette
is in public domain. Developers, feel free to ship it along with your
application. The icon naming utilities are licensed under the GPL.

Though the tango-icon-theme package is released to the Public Domain, we
ask that you still please attribute the Tango Desktop Project, for all
the hard work we've done. Thanks.
</quote>