Re: [tdf-discuss] Re: Can we replace "Floppy Disk"

On 12/29/2011 5:23 AM, Tony Pursell wrote:
> On 29 December 2011 00:29, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> used
>> top
>> Save
>> version, I

>>> That is because you have your icon style set to 'Human'. Ubuntu includes
>>> openoffice.org-style-human and libreoffice-style-human in their
>>> repositories. If LO provided the same & set the default to 'Human' the
>>> save icon would be the same (disk drive with a down arrow).
>>>

>> Correction: libreoffice-style-humanity
>> See: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/757304
>>

> Thanks for the explanation of why Ubuntu is different.
>
> The point I am making is that an old fashioned floppy disk is not the only
> icon
> used for Save and the world will not come to an end if some other
> appropriate,
> and more modern, icon is used in its place. Having said that, a hard drive
> may
> be old fashioned in a few years time when SSDs become the norm.
>
> Tony

I haven't heard of Delete/Eraser that works as well on SSDs as
traditional hard drives. That said USB will be the most common storage
media soon enough. Who saves to CDs at work?

I don't think the icon is a big deal, the whole interface is dated, I
pitched a Firefox addon-like interface a while back, but I'm still ahead
of my time on that.

Rather than reinventing the wheel, update the saveicon with a stock USB
icon: a vertical USB icon, it looks like a human carrying stuff and you
have the integrated download arrow, and it is a recognized symbol on
cameras, phones, TVs, etc.

http://imagebin.org/190980

--
GnuPG is Free Software (meaning that it respects your freedom).

Extensible, customizable text editor---GNU Emacs; Where's yours?